What is it with Grass? Such a seemingly prolific organism that can be so simple, and yet such a pain in the bum.
Last year I was fortunate enough to start with something of a 'clean slate' in the garden department. Renovations to our house had left the back garden looking like the Somme, and after some work with heavy equipment and many truckloads of new topsoil we had an empty, brown space.
Eschewing seeding in favor of an 'insta-lawn', I press ganged my Mother (here on Holiday) in to helping me lay several hundred square feet of perfect green (sod is a funny word, isn’t it ?). For the first time in my life, I owned a lawn that was flat, uniformly green and had no dead spots, brown spots, lumpy spots or squirrel holes.
This year, now that 'Summer' is finally here (it comes late in the Frozen North) I'm back to mowing and caring for my green. Only now, it had bald spots.
Why is it that everywhere you DON'T want grass to grow - it will? Prolifically. Yet here I give it all my nurturing, time and attention and it fails me. Maybe I should just ignore it, though I'd worry about losing the kids in the tall grass and all those snakes and things.
Somehow, shoveling snow was easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment