Friday, June 17, 2005

Cork boat

Audio books are great. I occasionally have to drive for 3-4 hours to go down to my 'head office', and while it's a fairly nice drive it can get a bit tedious.

A good cup of coffee, a chocolatey snack and a good audio book on the iPod can make it feel like I'm putting my feet up and relaxing (don't worry, full concentration on the road at all times). What did I ever do before my beloved little iPod ? Greatest gadget ever invented in my opinion (except maybe for the TiVo).

Anyway, I just finished 'Cork Boat' by John Pollack. In brief, it's a true story of a guy who fulfills his childhood dream of constructing and sailing a boat entirely from wine corks. It takes him until he is 36, mind you.

It often boggles my mind when I read of stories like this - that someone has such an intensity of purpose in life that they'll go through all kinds of adversity to accomplish something that, to the rest of us workaday slobs, seems completely crazy.

Thusfar in my life, I can't think of anything that has possessed me with such passion and required an enormous personal struggle to achieve (with the minor exception of my ongoing home renovation, but that doesn't really count).

It begs the question - what will I look back on in the closing days of my life as my 'greatest achievement' ? Maybe that should be everyone's every day goal - to DO something that you'll be proud of as you shuffle off this mortal coil. I'm not suggesting a need to cure cancer, conquer a new planet or discover a new chemical element but something that you can look on with pride and say 'yep, I did that'.

Suggestions, anybody ?

No comments: