Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Independence

For those non-US readers, yesterday was Independence Day here in the US. As I'm sure you all know, it's when they celebrate kicking us (the British) out all those years ago. Kind of like how we celebrate the burning of Catholics on Guy Fawkes' Day. Lots of barbecues, fireworks and red white and blue.

I must confess though, that it's a little bit better than Bonfire Night because it happens in JULY and not in NOVEMBER. Shorts and t-shirts are the suggested party wear, as opposed to several jumpers and a hat.

Another common tradition is the 4th of July race. Our town has a 7.2 miler, and I'm pleased to say that despite a chronic lack of training, I managed to complete it in a semi-decent time. Yeah me ! Starting the day out that way assuages some of the guilt felt later when downing several burgers and quantities of beer. My daughter (4) completed her first kid's fun run today. She got a medal, a flag AND a ribbon. Way to go !

I sometimes wonder what the world would be like now if the UK was still the pre-eminent super power and not the US. Sometimes it boggles my mind that our Empire ever grew so big. How on earth did we do it ? For those interested in the last remnants of this straggly collection of colonies, check out Simon Winchester's book 'Outposts'. It details some of the last Crown Colonies that can still be called that in this day and age. Who knew ? Rule Britannia !

No comments: