One of the things you'll notice about living in the US, is that people are much more attached to their flags. I can't remember anyone I knew growing up in England that flew the Union Jack. You'd see it on bunting, and boxer shorts and even carried by some streaker at a Test Match, but not often on an actual pole.
I personally think this is an oversight, and I can think of no better time to show your colors than right NOW. With no disrespect to my 'host' nation, I removed the 'Stars and Stripes', folded them neatly and raised the good old Union Jack on my modest little porch flagpole.
After 9/11, stores sold out of American flags, and flying ours seemed like such a statement. When you think about it, many have died defending our right to raise our colors and declare our freedom each and every day. Shouldn't we use it ?
I'd like to start a movement to Fly The Flag. Maybe JonnyB can write a song for this cause, too. While we're at it, let's sing the National Anthem, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment