Saturday, November 19, 2005

Giving Thanks

This is one of my favorite times of year. Not just because my birthday is right around the corner, but because of the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Unlike most other overhyped, oversold, or plain overwhelming holidays, Thanksgiving has somehow escaped the overcommercialism of Christmas and Easter. It's a holiday that everyone gets to celebrate - regardless of race, colour, religion, sexual orientation and income. The simple thing about Thanksgiving is that it's really just about that - gathering together and being thankful. For your family, friends and what you have. You don't have to thank God - whichever or whatever deity you worship - it's more about just being reflective and stopping to take a minute.

I also enjoy the general lack of stress prior to the actual day. There's no tree, lights, presents, cards, religious services or TV specials. Other than making sure you have the requisite Turkey, trimmings and plenty of booze - it's all pretty low key.

Being a relative newcomer to the US (going on 13 years now), I immediately took to Thanksgiving. We didn't have it in England, and here was a time of year when you could get together, have a great meal and get a day off work without stressing about it for a month. It's also nice to throw political correctness to the wind and be able to wish all and sundry a 'Happy Thanksgiving !' without concern of offending someone's religious sensibilities.

This year will be a bit different. My wife and children will be at her parents' in Connecticut. I'm on call for the Ambulance that day, so I'll be here at home. The rest of my crew will be coming over for dinner, and we'll all sup ginger ale and hope we don't get called. It'll be nice, though. A different kind of family, but one I'm just as thankful for.

So, to any reader - no matter where you are in the World - take a moment next Thursday and join the millions of Americans in being just a little more thankful for the gifts that we have, and remember the millions who aren't as fortunate.

1 comment:

MB said...

Well happy thanksgiving. I too will be taking a moment next thursday and thinking about people across the pond. And especially if the Broncos can best the Cowboys.