Thursday, November 10, 2005

Deadbeat

The Tavern was a small, cozy respite from the dreay November rain falling in sheets outside.

The open fire made the atmosphere warm and inviting.

The food was delicious and beautifully prepared.

The check was presented, the credit card declined. Declined ?

At such a moment (and I'm sure that at some point or another this must happen to everyone) you feel like a complete deadbeat, someone trying to sneak a bad credit card to pay your bill.

You run through the mental checklist of 'did I pay the bill' or 'did the card get cancelled' or 'did I go over my limit' ? Yes, no and no.

Rummaging through my wallet, I find the replacement. 'Here, try this one' I say, trying to sound like someone who is confident that he's not down to his last penny and desparately trying to find a card with some room left on it (been there, though). The waitress smiles, trying to give me that 'Oh, it's OK - this happens ALL the time' look, while all the while I know she's thinking 'poor bastard, he must be broke'.

The second card is accepted and no kitchen chores have to be performed before we are allowed to leave the restaurant.

I come to discover later that my credit card provider had thoughtfully sent me out an 'upgraded' card and thoughtfully cancelled the old one before I received it. It's nice to be so special.

No comments: