Tuesday, October 04, 2005

And the secret is...

Apparently, a winning chili recipe contains beans. Mine, on the other hand contained 50 pounds of beef but not a single bean.

The perceptive among you will probably note that I did NOT win the Chili Cookoff. I did come in a solid joint 3rd, though (out of 4, but who's counting).

Being my first year and all, it's something of a learning experience and these are some of the lessons that I can offer to any would be Chili Cooker Offer:

- Drink more beer while making the Chili. Have some friends over. It takes a loooooong time.
- Use beans. The philistine public just can't handle a meaty chili (unless you're in Texas in which case I believe they will rope you to a wild horse if you don't have 100% beef).
- Make more than you think people could possibly eat. Then double it. Running out of product seriously hampers votes.
- Pick the SHADY side of the tent.
- Cook it at someone else's house. 3 days of chili smell really doesn't make you hungry.

Other than that, everyone had a good time. Music by The Half Moon Jug Band was excellent, especially their banner number 'Dead Skunk in the middle of the road'.
No, really it was.

No comments: